Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Take a long, slow drink.

I love this little plant. 


I've had it for years.  


It looks half dead.  And it's pretty small. 
It should be lush, and full.  And overflowing its little pot.

But I forget to water it.  Most of the time. 

So instead of getting long, slow drinks of life-giving water, it gets a dribble here, a dribble there, a deluge if I'm really thinking about it.  It's been chewed on by the cat more than a few times.  And yet, this little plant carries on.  It basks in the sun.  And it tries to grow.  Just as a new branch sprouts, an old one dies, because this plant needs a drink.  It doesn't ask for much.  A drink of water is all it needs from me.  

It would be a beautiful plant.  If only I gave it enough water to drink. 

Aren't we thirsty?  Aren't we starving for God's Word?  But rather than take big long drinks and getting my fill, I find myself getting a dribble here, a dribble there, and a deluge if the guilt of not having a disciplined devotional time overtakes me.  And I get chewed on by life, scalded, and parched, and yet I limp along when I know that all I need is a drink. I feel half-dead at times, burned out, and worn, with my spiritual limbs falling down and my roots barely clinging to the dried out soil.  But all I need is a drink

 A long, slow drink in God's Word.  


I love this little plant.
I think I'll give it a drink.
And maybe I'll take one, too.  A nice, long, slow drink.


Psalm 23

A psalm of David.
 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
 3 he refreshes my soul. 
He guides me along the right paths 
   for his name’s sake. 
4 Even though I walk 
   through the darkest valley,[a] 
I will fear no evil, 
   for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, 
   they comfort me.

 5 You prepare a table before me 
   in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; 
   my cup overflows. 
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me 
   all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD 
   forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...