Monday, July 9, 2012

I want that!


I want that.  Heard all too frequently in my house, usually in an unpleasant, whiny tone.  If you have - or had- or know - small children, big children, teenagers, or adults, I bet you've heard it, too.  It's not something we typically encourage in our home, rather, we remind our wee ones to use their polite, big kid voices.  And that has a success life of about, oh, 2 seconds.  But they are learning, and so are we! 
 
Truthfully, though, how bad is it to want something?  What else drives us, but a desire for something bigger, better, or different? Were it not for desires, wants, and needs, we would linger and stagnate when we need to move onward and upward.

In my studies towards my seminary degree, there is no time to linger over things which deserve to be lingered over- a scripture, a theology, or a thought -provoking moment in history.  There is much to learn in a very short amount of time.  The more I study, and the more I learn in this whirlwind of course materials, is that I want an awful lot of things.  Some things I want are just, noble, and beautiful….others maybe a bit vanity related, greedy.  I suppose I can sound just as whiny as anyone when I want something I can’t have.   

Getting back to seminary…I truly love character studies, where I get to look deeply into the life of a person from the Bible.  They remind me of Bible celebrities, whose lives make an impact thousands of years later, whose downfalls and shortcomings are as gossip-worthy as any other A-lister.  To get a peek into their lives, relationships, weaknesses, talents, and ministry is a privilege and a challenge.  It shows me how God works in and through the lives of His people.  It shows me how God can transform a life.  It shows me how He is strong in our weaknesses, and it shows me what I want.

What do I want?  Here are a few thoughts from the lives of some of my favorite Bible celebs.

Moses whined when God called Him.  I so don't want  to do that. 
He was considered a friend of God: I want that!

King David was an adulterer and a murder.  Need that like I need a hole in the head.  But being a Man (or in my case, woman) after God's own heart?  I want it.

Ezekiel, prophet during a time of exile, and a young widower.  No thanks. 
Felt the word of God was like a fire in his bones...I. Want. That.

Paul, persecutor of Christians.  Nada.
Paul, willing to die for his faith, yes!

Peter, betrayer.  Not me!  (Oh, I hope not me)
The rock on which church is built, what an honor, a challenge, and a blessing.


What do I want? To know God and be known by Him.  To have a fire in my bones to share Him.  To be His friend, and to be after His heart. To have a faith willing to die for. To be the person that God has made me to be. And most of all, more of God.  That is what I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...