Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Praying expectantly.




 1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. 

2 Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. 

Psalm 116, NIV



Twice in the last few weeks I've felt frustrated, anxious, and scared.  I didn't know which steps to take next. And I didn't know if I could handle what the future would bring. So, I cried.  I cried a lot. Probably a few buckets worth.  And through my tears, I desperately prayed to God to have mercy on us, and to move swiftly on our behalf.  

Well, I really should not have been surprised that God made things happen the very next day. I mean, it was me that asked Him to work fast, right? I received a phone call in the early afternoon that turned my entire day upside down.  I was stressed by the task I had to face.  I hate to admit that I tried to find a way out of it.  And it wasn't until later that I realized that although the day was mixed up and inconvenient, it was God answering my prayer.  He moved fast and He moved big.  Why was I so surprised?  In the end, I was grateful for the answer that I needed.  But I wish I had my eyes open to see how God was moving that day.  I could have faced the upheaval with a lot more excitement, anticipation, and joy if I had only been expecting God to answer me. 

The second time I prayed that prayer, the answer happened nearly the same way.  The only difference was it took a few more days for me for things to come to fruition.  Again, my eyes were closed to God's work in my life.   Why didn't I learn this lesson the last time?  

Through these two experiences I learned a few things about me, about God, and about my faith.  I learned that God is faithful even when we're not.  I really didn't show very good faith that He was going to answer my cry.  I should know God better than that.  But He answers our prayers, always.  Even when we don't fully expect an answer.  

My prayer for today is that I will have my eyes open to all He is doing around me.  And that I won't just ask for God's help, but that I will fully expect the answer and pray expectantly.  

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...